Tuesday, August 6, 2019

lasts

No one ever talks about the 'lasts'
The 'firsts' are a big deal
You catch all those milestones
But the lasts creep up on you
They happen and they slip in
Camouflaged as firsts
First step
First word
First bike ride
And suddenly you know next year he won't even need you to bike along with him
He'll be zooming ahead
And there's hardly any last firsts left
He'll be reading
Have his first day of school
Loose his teeth 
Go to camp
And all these firsts will be fainter because his brothers have done them before and they are busy with all their new firsts
But they are His firsts
Still special and important
And they are my lasts
Last year of a little person curled in a towel on my lap
Last baby to cuddle in my bed in the mornings
Last to discover the wonder of a bug or a puddle or some amazing thing we all take for granted
Last baby cheeks to change into a handsome face
No one ever talks about them but here they are
Happening
They are happening and I have to love them and let go
This is the great paradox of motherhood
This is the tearing of the heart in two directions
For while I longed for this time a decade ago now I am heartbroken to see it go
I know I will love my 'freedom' that I sometimes wanted so badly
And I realise we are going to keep having lasts and lasts and lasts for another 15 years 
They will be exciting new things to be proud of 
And they will be firsts
And they will be lasts
And they will be okay

3 comments: